Re: removing fascia... aka dashboard...

To: "Dave G." <dmg@bossig.com>
Subject: Re: removing fascia... aka dashboard...
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:07:12 -0500
Dave G. wrote:

> I need to the remove the dashboard on the '65 to fit the 'crash rail'

Remove the speedo, tach, and fuel gauge. Watch the oil/temp gauge as the
capillary tube on the temp gauge does NOT come off the back, never kink
or cut that tube. There is usually enough slack to lower the dash onto
the seats and keep the temp gauge in the dash. Or unscrew the bulb at
the radiator and fish the tube thru the firewall and out along with the
gauge.
Remove the 4 screws in the signal cowl and remove the signal switch.
Pop off the steering wheel.
Undo the 2 metal supports from the firewall on the bottom of the dash.
There is a sheetmetal screw on eash side of the back of the dash near
the door posts. At one point they were bolts (1/4 x 28) but changed to
sheetmetal screws somewhere along the line. (I think)
These are where the dash rolls under on each side. You can see them if
you look under.
There is a nut on a captive stud in the center top of the dash sort of
under the center windshield rod.
There may be 2 more nuts/bolts 1/4 way on each side, again it's been a
while since I dropped a MKIII dash.
You can leave the switches in and just unplug the wires from them.
The crash pad is held on with 10/32 nuts (5/16 wrench) on sliding "T"
bolts. Undo the nuts and slide the stud to a notch and it comes out.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ