Re: No Dif

To: spritenut@comcast.net
Subject: Re: No Dif
From: Michael D Myers <mdmyers_ct@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:44:11 -0400
Frank,

Bearing noise would mostly sound like a low growl, possibly slightly
higher pitch for the faster spinning pinion bearings. The noise would be
caused by the rollers or races spalling (losing small or large chunks of
metal).

If the noise more like a whine, it is most likely gear-related from the
hypoid tooth contact. This is generally adjusted by shimming the gear
mesh on a new set, but the 40+ year-old gears may have worn to the point
where this is not possible.

New gears and bearings should solve anything but housing-related wear. As
with any bearing-related work, put the BFH far away on the workbench and
try more gentle methods of persuasion like a press or large wrenches or
ball joint type srcrew-thread tools.

Mike Myers