Re: OT - hey old people

To: Billy Zoom <billyzoom@billyzoom.com>
Subject: Re: OT - hey old people
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:33:29 -0700
>Beenie & Cecil "Hey Beenie boy"
>Billy Zoom wrote:  "Yeah, but how many of you can remember when it was a
>puppet show?

And how many remember that fateful night in February of 1949 when Los
Angeles TV station KTLA, one of the first in the nation, put on that
first episode of "Time for Beany" (with a "y").  We were living in
Lynwood, and Dad was doing well with his Helms Bakery route.  In late
1948 he bought our first 10" TV.  It seemed like every kid in the
neighborhood was coming to our house.  Beany came on about 6 o'clock, as
I recall, and featured Dawes Butler as Beany and Stan Freberg as Cecil.
In 1953, our sophomore class in Downey paid Freberg $25 to come and give
an assembly where, in a serious moment, he admitted that he was a
failure in life, known only as a sea-sick sea serpent and for his only
record, "Pass the Other Udder to my Udder Brudder."  After that, of
course, he took off.  Hard to realize that he turned 80 last month!

    Those were the days, my friend!
    We thought they'd never end.
    We'd sing and dance forever and a day.
    We'd live the life we'd choose.
    We'd fight and never lose.
    For we were young and sure to have our way!

Buster Evans