New to List

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: New to List
From: "James Sailer" <BJ8Healey@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:41:08 -0600
Morning Spridget List,

I am new here but have been on the big Healey list for years.  For some time I
have had the itch to make a copy of one of the 1961 Sebring Bugeyes ..(of
which one is shown Page 154-155 of The Healey Book).   (for example 8425 UE
which has a standard appearing bugeye body) .. I want a track car and a
project and did not want to muck up my now restored 1966 BJ8 ....  Well, after
casually searching for a bugeye for a while .. one that is not too rusty ..
not too expensive .. and notable not so far from eastern Idaho that the
shipping drives up the cost ..  I stumbled into one .. advertised in our local
"Thrifty Nickel" .. It is about 80% there ... It is a 1961 with no rust on
rockers, wheel arches, cowl pillar bases, spring boxes, etc. ... a 1/2 inch
irregular hole in drivers floor that does not look to be from rust ... The car
still has the original vin tag and an original black plastic BMC tag under it
.. original robins egg bue paint ..  various dents on the rear deck that look
like they came from someone piling stuff on it ... an ok bonnet with hinge
problems (but no issue as the Sebring Sprites used a fiberglass bonnet and
tilt forward) ... appears to be original 948 cc engine (but not an issue as
the Sebring sprites used a 1098 which I plan to use) .. no seats (won't need)
...  rusty wheels and tires that do not hold air (changing to a wire wheel
setup and the car is now on my car dolly) ... I bought it for the advertised
price of $700 delivered to my house .....  less than the cost of shipping a
$2000 to 4000 car of a little better shape here ... I guess I broke the rule
of buying the best you can afford but .. it seems to fit the bill for my
project.  It is AN5L42390 with a BMC black plastic tag under part of the Vin
plate (BMC 61).  Step 1 I need to get a heritage certificate.  Step 2 the car
is getting media blasted and primed so I can really see where I am at.

Now for list wisdom:

1. I will be using a fiberglass bonnet (tilt Forward).  Any that are better
than others and any comments would be appreciated.

2. Conversion to wire wheel set up - Comments and information appreciated.  (I
believe I have found an original bugeye rear setup for wire wheels)

3. Information on the specifics of the 1961 Sebring Sprite referenced.

and of course anything to correct my naivety as I start on this project.  I
would like to make a correct period car to use in historic racing.

Thanks in advance.  I know I will have a lot of questions as I proceed.

Jim Sailer
61 Bugeye
66 BJ8
1993 Land Rover Defender 110