Not LBC but car solution, knock sensor

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Not LBC but car solution, knock sensor
From: "Linda Grunthaner" <grunthaner@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:07:18 -0400
List,
I just wanted to make note that I finally got my 94 SW2 Saturn wagon
straightened out and perhaps this may happen to someone else. Last summer my
Saturn would for no reason I knew of jump up 1K to 2K RPM's or more while
driving at 65 MPH and I received no extra power. Occasionally the check
engine light would go on and then off. And I would ether have to pull over
or pop in neutral to get the RPM's down So I tried to figure it out myself
and realized the high RPM's sounded like I put the transmission into a lower
gear and she whined out without the extra speed. So I figured it was soon to
be time for yet another transmission. I ran the question by some guys on the
group site http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.makers.saturn/topics and
2 guys said it sounded more like an engine problem but I was sure it was
transmission. I went to my shop (former student's auto shop/junk yard) and
they sent me to their transmission guy. Cottman's Transmissions in Eatontown
NJ. He tests transmissions on his computer for FREE opposed to Saturn
wanting $100 for the first 10 minuets and who knows what after that. He said
the transmission was fine and the computer stated the "knock sensor was bad"
I quickly installed the knock sensor and "wa-la" as good as new. The knock
sensor as I read is used to "obtain the optimum combination of timing and
fuel/air mixture to generate power" so you can use lower octane gas. I am so
happy I don't need another transmission and this guy at Cottman is a great
guy. The Saturn google group is no where near as large as our list but a few
guys are pretty helpful.
Happy motoring,
Linda

62 California Sprite "Pinky"
www.freewebs.com/lgrunthaner

94 Saturn SW2 one owner,
sorry Pinky, but my favorite car ever because she can go camping and carry
kayaks : )