RE: Welders MIG or TIG?

To: "'Linda Grunthaner'" <grunthaner@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Welders MIG or TIG?
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 14:39:39 -0400
Linda,
I elected to go with a MIG welder, for my home shop, for the simple
reason that, given some of the contortionist positions Ive had to get
into, to weld this or that on one of my cars; I didnt want to even
THINK about having to use BOTH hands for different welding tasks,
simultaneously.  With a TIG, you can make some truly beautiful welds, AT
THE BENCH, as well as in certain positions on a car.  However, given the
fact that, ultimately, you will need to weld in every position
imaginable, when restoring even a moderately rusty car, the MIG is so
much more practical.  Even with the rotisserie I built myself, for
Spridgets, I still cant imagine having to do all of my welding with a
TIG.
 Sure, many of the welds would be pretty nice to look at, BEFORE I FILED
THEM FLUSH, but, for autobody restoration work, I truly believe that a
MIG is the best all-around welder to use.
Like I said, previously: If you can gas weld, proficiently, you can MIG
weld BEAUTIFULLY.
Bud Osbourne