Which carbs? Longish

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Which carbs? Longish
From: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 13:28:25 -0700
Spridgeteers,

I have the possibility of using one pair of three different sets of carbs
when I do my rebuild.  All pairs are HS2, the pair on FROG AYE appears to be
stock (obviously not stock for a bugeye) and works "acceptably".  This pair
appears to be the oldest of the lot as it has no poppet valves on the
throttle plates.
Set number 2 came off a 1098, It has the poppet valves on the throttle
plates, but other than that appears to be similar to the ones on FROG AYE.
Definitely not spring loaded needle.  I started to rebuild this pair and the
bowls had a lot of fine rust particles in them, but I did manage to get it
out of there.
Behind door number 3 we have the pair that came with my 1275 (from a 71
Midget,) This pair has a funky 'Y' shaped connector between the carbs that
was most likely part of some kind of emissions system. It also has a funky
vent(?) on the top of each float bowl that has what appears to be a kind of
wire mesh filter over it.  Also has the poppet valves on throttle plates.
Think this one has the spring loaded needles, but don't know for sure.
Knowing that they will all need a rebuild (thanks, Frank) and most likely
new needles, and possibly new throttle shafts (Set number 2 definitely has
loose shafts, don't know about the other ones)if anybody has anything
constructive to say about which pair to start with I would appreciate
hearing it.  If you just have a snide comment or want to say anything else
totally unrelated, that is welcome also.

Hal