Re: 3.9 rear

To: "Bill L" <pythias@pacifier.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 3.9 rear
From: "Walt & Zoe Harrison" <wzharrison@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 21:36:18 -0700
Bill,

Here's my two-cents ... the 3.9:1 ratio rear end is quite nice with a Sprite
1275cc
engine and 4-speed web-case tranny.  We've had one for years.

It bolts right up to your existing rear-end and drive shalf, no major
changes involved.
It gives you higher cruising speed with less RPM, and better gas mileage.
It pulls just
fine from a start, not quite as quick as a 4.22:1, but then it seems we're
shifting into
second almost immediately anyway, so this may be a nit.  I like the better
range you
have in second and third.  Mileage-wise, our Sprite averages 30+ MPG running
premium.  The down-side?  We cannot cruise 70+ MPH on the interstate for
hours,
but then that's no fun to start with, and we try to avoid it. As for
justifying the expense,
amoritize the cost over 40-60K miles, not 4K.

FWIW, Walt