workin' the bugs out

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: workin' the bugs out
From: "Ed Townley" <healeymonster@fastwave.biz>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:24:50 -0600
This is a new one on me-- the Bugeye started running really crappy the other
day-- power loss, fuel starvation symptoms--backfiring, like it was leaned
completely out-- Took the float bowls off the carbs, and rear was plugged
with----BUGS!!! I suspect a dirt dauber had laid a few eggs in the transfer
hose between the carbs while it was lying about waiting for me to assemble
the carb set and install the 1275, and it took this long (almost a year) for
the larvae to get cross-wise in the float bowl inlet enough to completely
plug it. The dirt dauber curse is omnipresent here at the farm-- I have
found nests in every kind of opening imaginable-- once found a dirt nest
about 3 inches by 6inches on the pully and drive belt of my drill press.
Found it when I started the press and had a cloud of dirt coming out of the
housing, and some pretty good knocking as the hardened dirt ball was flying
around inside the housing.

      The rough running had occurred intermittently 3-4 times, but had
cleared up. Don't know how many were in there, but I caught three of the
larvae in my hand when I blew compressed air through the inlet.
Well-preserved, hard little suckers-- each one about 1/4 in long. Runs a lot
better now-

Ed Townley

Southern NM, USA

59 AN5