Re: Thin-flange block myth?

To: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Thin-flange block myth?
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 10:37:37 GMT
Your buddy's thin-flange is raced, but it's
also modified for the purpose, Ron.

As I understood it, the thin flange had a
longevity problem in it's stock form when
continuously driven on the street in the
"like you stole it" mode. Bore flex supposedly led to "early" bore wear and
consequent loss of compression/oil burning.

The foregoing having been said, my PO'd stock '67 Sprite (thin flange) with
over 55K on it was used as the mule for my Judson experimental days. It got
beaten to death for a few thousand miles accordingly. I mean really beaten.

Never had any problem with it (including any oil burning) up to the day the car
got
hammered by a truck. At that point, the motor had about 70K on it.

Helluva strong "weak" motor, IMHO! :)

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)