BusterCluster in Practical Classics

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: BusterCluster in Practical Classics
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 01:29:05 -0700
Frank Clarici and I had no longer arrived at Daniel Stapleton's home in
Nuneton, England, than my wife Pam contacted me to tell me that someone
from Practical Classics magazine was trying to reach me, and was
delighted when she told him Frank and I were in England.

When I reached Theo Gillam, he said that the editors of Practical
Classics had been impressed by the OSHIT concept of friends helping
friends, and particularly how it took shape at  the BusterCluster that
brought 23 classic English car enthusiasts together from all over the
vastness of the United States.  The magazine has a regular "readers'
restoration" feature that illustrate one owner's efforts to restore his
car.  The BusterCluster, however, would take a different approach by
demonstrating the unique "brotherhood" of Spridget owners in America,
and how they came together for the remarkable three days that saw a
completely stripped down tub turned into a smooth running fully restored
Frogeye Sprite.  ("Buster", incidently, is a nickname I inherited from
my dad.)

The night before the Beaulieu Autojumble, Frank and I met with Theo in a
sixteenth century pub, and for about two and a half hours, related the
tale of the BusterCluster from Ron Soave's first thought to Pam and me
driving it away.  How fortunate it was that Frank was there to give Theo
a background on the remarkable nature of the informal and unorganized
OSHIT concept, and how for a number of years people had been getting
together for less ambitious projects.  He was also able to tell him how
Ron Soave's fertile mind provided the genesis of the BusterCluster.
Most importantly, Frank was able to explain how all of those people were
able to come together, and without anyone to direct or choreograph them
in an organized fashion, simply go to work and get everything
accomplished in three days.  All I could really offer was background on
the car and the role it had played in my life for over four decades, and
how I wanted to restore not a concours car, but simply to see it as it
was when I bought it.  New!

At the Beaulieu Autojumble the next day, Theo brought along the National
Auto Museum photographer to take photos of Frank and myself.  I again
emphasized that  to my way of thinking, the BusterCluster was not about
me, but about all of those who made it possible.  They are the ones who
needed to be credited and recognized.  (Further, since my days as a
newspaper reporter, photographer, editor, and publisher, I have alway
resisted--no, refused--to have my photo published.)

I have been able to provide Theo with photos taken by Al Clemens of the
car in the early 1960's, as well as those taken during the
BusterCluster.  He also has a list of all those friends who made the
BusterCluster possible, as well as their e-mail addresses.  I do want to
alert BusterCluster participants that Theo may be contacting them.
After more discussions with his editors, he may or may not have a need
for "mug shots" and information on their contribution to the effort.

I will keep everyone posted on the publication date when I receive more
information.  Those of you who may be unfamiliar with Practical Classics
can probably find it in the automotive section of any well-stocked
magazine section of bookstores.