Re: [Spridgets] Diffs again, if I may

To: John.Deikis@va.gov, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Diffs again, if I may
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:40:01 EDT
What Bill says is borne out by my own experience.  The Phantom Grip device
works like a Torsen diff NOT a clutch plate diff.

What this means is that when one wheel trys to rotate faster than the other
the Phantom Grip resists it and trys to keep both wheels turning at the same
speed.  The effect in any situation is that the rear of the car will seek to
step out towards the right (don't know why it's always to the right).  In this
respect the Phantom Grip action is just like the Quaife Automatic Torque
Biasing
diff which they are not allowed to call a Torsen because if they do Gleason
will sue them.

I personally consider it's unhelpful to think of the Phantom Grip as having
clutch devices as this can lead to confusion with the action of a clutch plate
limited slip diff which is quite a different thing altogether.

A clutch plate limited slip diff like a ZF seeks to switch power from the
wheel that has less grip to the wheel that has more which invariably overloads
that wheel and thus reverses the power back again and so as this cycle repeats
the rear of the car fishtails as the wheels fight for grip.