[Spridgets] Air compressors in tandem - possible?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Air compressors in tandem - possible?
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:59:18 -0400
This Fall I will probably be ready to sandblast the body tub of my
'66 Sprite. I have been blasting parts at home using my Sears 2 HP,
7.4 cfm @ 90 psi, 240 volt, 20 amp compressor. For the doors, boot
lid and small parts the compressor does well. Oh, the other important
part is a Harbor F. pressure pot. It works well! My complaint isn't
with the HF pot, but I just have marginal cfm's from the compressor
for sand blasting. On the tub, the compressor will never catch up and
run continuously.

I was thinking about borrowing another small compressor to gain a few
more cfm's and us it in tandem with my compressor - don't really need
that many more cfm to have a satisfactory system. But, as I though
about it, I figured that it wouldn't work to use two compressors to
feed the pot. My thinking is that the comp. with the "highest" low
pressure setting will be the one that always does all the work. The
other compressor won't come on and will only contribute it's tank to
the system to store more cfm's. Since they would be connected
together somehow, both comp's would see the same tank pressure. The
possibility of setting both pressure switches to come on at the same
time are probably pretty slim - I am guessing.

I don't really want to rent a 125 cfm LeRoy or Sulair, etc since I
live in a subdivision. I guess I'll have to see if the rental places
have anything between little nail gun compressors and the big boys.

I could farm the blasting out, but here in Dow Chemical / Dow Corning
country, the blasters are oriented to doing pieces of industrial
machinery and piping I suppose. I'd worry about what they could do to
a 41 year old Sprite.

Anyone ever tried using two compressors in tandem (I guess the proper
word would be "in parallel" - two compressors feeding into a common
manifold from which the pot draws its air?

Tim Collins