Re: [Spridgets] Cadillac Eldorado v. AN5

To: WJHS1960 <WJHS1960@comcast.net>, Spridgets
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Cadillac Eldorado v. AN5
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 20:39:32 -0700 (PDT)
--- WJHS1960 <WJHS1960@comcast.net> wrote:
> Bet it does NOT like the 134, Michael.

Back-in-the-day, I did a lot of work on R-134a
replacement after the 1989 Montreal Protocol came out,
before 134a was commercially available. 134a was not
compatible with the compressor shaft seals that were
used for R-12. I was always amazed that the
"conversion kits" often just consisted of schrader
valve adapters! If you've got a really good shop,
another trick we used to use on aircraft for finding
particularly sneaky leaks is to fill the system with
Helium and use a Helium sniffer to find them. Helium
is easier to sniff than refrigerant, although you may
get some leaks with He that you won't have with
refrigerant. The dye stuff is OK, but not always easy
to see on a car.

Check for a faulty (intermittent) relief valve on the
condenser as well. If it's not really low on charge
and the evaporator isn't icing, find the switch and
stick a paperclip in it!

G'luck,
Ron

Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.