[Spridgets] Oil leak

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Oil leak
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 15:10:11 -0500
Gang,

I may not get to this for a while due to other commitments (like
painting the house, moving to Georgia, and working on the Lake of the
Ozarks Golden Anniversary).  I'm used to working with motorcycles
where it is relatively easy to see everything. On the Midget 1275 its
another story.

Anyway, what's a good way to track down an oil leak?   I'm not talking
small leak here... I expect some leakage on a Brit car.  I'm talking
30 miles to the quart here.

I'm hoping to find a way to diagnose the source of the leak so I can
tell whether I just need to tighten the oil pan bolts. Or if I'm
getting leakage at the stinking back plate and oil pump cover and need
to pull the motor/tranny again to get to it. Last year I installed a
brand new alloy back plate from APT and I thought I had that all
sealed up. Maybe not.....

I'm thinking maybe go to a pressure car wash, bath the engine, tranny,
and pan in Simple Green, and hose it off.  Then crawl under and see
where the Castrol Fountain is coming from....

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City