Re: [Spridgets] Tesla--the electric Lotus Elise

To: "derf" <derf247@gmail.com>, <b-evans@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Tesla--the electric Lotus Elise
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <PAsgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 09:59:37 -0700
That's true.  I do maintenence on a 15HP DC motor (GREAT BIG sucker) that
runs a blower.  To get it to start up without that shock, current first goes
through a bank of resistors, that drop off one at a time until it's up to
full speed.  Just like the trolleys did with the motorman handling the
controller and on later trolley cars with a foot throttle.

I wonder if the automobiles have the banks of resistors to insure a gradual
start up or if it's being done a newer way today?  Anyone know?

Paul A