Re: [Spridgets] Fuse box breaker question

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Fuse box breaker question
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:47:16 -0500
>> You can uprate the breaker often times and have no ill effect.  Often a
>> much heavier guage of wire was used in the first place.  Analyze the wire
>> ga - OK throw the breaker first.

Derf's point was that the breaker was tripping when the motor tried to
start, not under continued use. The extra amperage used at start is of short
duration and does not necessarily represent a fire hazard. I agree that the
ideal solution is to run a brand new dedicated 20A circuit for this device,
but that is probably overkill. OTOH, if you put off all your projects until
you get around to re-wiring the garage... On the third hand, since Lin has
or is getting a MIG, it is probably a great time to re-wire properly.
David Lieb