[Spridgets] Diffy question

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Diffy question
From: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:50:30 -0700
Spent a good portion of the morning cleaning up my p-n-p 3.9 differential.
There appears to be some drag in the pinion shaft.  It kind of sticks and
then makes a bit of a scraping sound when I turn it (crown wheel removed.)
My manual says that there is a spacer that sets the preload and that that
this should be replaced when the pinion shaft is pulled.  It also says that
I need a factory tool to set the preload correctly.  Is this BS?  What am I
getting myself into if I pull the pinion shaft?  How do you guys pull the
pinion shaft nut if the diff is not in the car?
Got the worst of the exterior cleaned up on the ribcase, lotsa sludge in
there when I looked at the inside of the drain plug, so I guess I'm gonna
have to undo some more nuts and bolts.  Any suggestions?  Do I need to send
money to a list member for parts?

Hal