Re: [Spridgets] Abarth Muffler fitment

To: Bill L <pythias@pacifier.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Abarth Muffler fitment
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 00:32:44 GMT
The Abarth is sized for the smaller diameter exhaust of the 948cc motor. You
can fit the Abarth inside the larger diameter exh. system, or fit the end of
the larger 1098 system to "fit" inside the smaller inlet of the Abarth, by
carefully "expanding" the initial
inlet lip of the Abarth. This has to be done
VERY carefully or you "break" it. The Abarth
is a heavy unit...very well built of good steel.

Now this is not the most efficient way to go
as in the first case you've created a reverse
"step" and in the second case, a "venturi"
effect which may work for or against you
depending on rpm's most likely, however....

.........the Abarth is also a "free-flow"
muffler by design and this will work "back"
in your favor re:  the above. Fr'instance....

.......I used an Abarth on my stock '67 Spridget's 1275 both normally aspirated
and with a Judson blower.

Noticed no problems with the flow in either
case. Car went well with the Abarth with or without the blower. Noticed no
negative effects either normally aspirated or "blown".

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)