[Spridgets] more EFI progress

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] more EFI progress
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 09:55:32 -0700
I now have all the bits save for hoses and clamps.  I hit the Fairfield
Pick-and-Pull Sunday and got two injector connectors and a steel fuel rail
that can be cut and welded into the needed shape for the two injectors I plan
to use.  I did a 60 mile drive with the carb and had the computer hooked up
the whole time to watch the sensors and see the little LEDs blink like they
were actually running the car.  All good.

Last night I unbolted the carb and started fabrication of the critical missing
piece,  the pipe that connects the turbo to the throttle body.  It will have
to have a slight twist to put the TB in a good place near the master cylinder
that will leave room for a conical air filter,  It will have to have a
straight run of 4" going into the mouth of the turbo, and the injectors will
be mounted atop this pipe at an angle to shoot into the turbo vanes.  It will
also have to have a mount for the fuel pressure regulator and a port for the
gulp valve.

The Sunday drive was perfect, over 30MPG, good boost response, and with the
cam timing adjusted to 106 from the poor performing 110deg., the plugs were
clean and perfectly colored.  If it weren't for the slight knock on hard
boost, I'd wonder why I'm bothering to mess with a very good setup.  The goal
is to get a bit closer to perfection.  If a seat-of-the-pants,hand filed
needle can yield this performance, what will a modern EFI do for it??  We'll
soon see.

No progress tonight though.  We're celebrating the newly empty nest and going
out for West-coast Swing dance lessons tonight.

Glen Byrns