Re: [Spridgets] California sliding away....NOT!

To: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] California sliding away....NOT!
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:01:19 -0500
On 10/24/07, Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> The continental shelf is riding UP and OVER the Pacific plate.
> California is actually rising, not sinking.

Ummm...   Glen...   The San Andreas is a classic right-lateral,
strike-slip fault. No subduction at all.  All land west of the fault
on the Pacific Plate is moving slowly to the northwest while all land
east of the fault is moving to the southwest (relatively southeast as
measured at the fault) under the influence of plate tectonics. The
rate of slippage averages approximately 33-37 mm/year across
California.

Projected motion indicates that the Gulf of California will expand
northward at the same time that the landmass west of the fault,
including the Baja California peninsula and the California coast
(including Los Angeles) slides past San Francisco, then continuing
northwestward as an island mass toward the Aleutian Trench, over a
period of perhaps twenty million years.

Throughout that process, there will be occasional *very* violent and
destructive quakes as the lateral pressure builds along a snag in the
fault strike-slip line.

This per my geology courses (Univ. Nebr) and per my brother, chief
geologist for Alphageosciences who turned down a lucrative position
with a California firm years ago saying, "Knowing what you do about
the earthquake situation in this area, you want me to move my family
here?"

Go to the UC Davis head office and ask for your money back on that geo
course  ;-)
-
Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City
Don't miss 50 Years of Spridgets at Lake of the Ozarks, June 26-29, 2008!!
For info... http://www.Sprite-MidgetClub.org