Re: [Spridgets] [midgetsprite] Re: Team Sprite Bugeye for Sale on

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] [midgetsprite] Re: Team Sprite Bugeye for Sale on
From: "Robert Bruce Evans" <b-evans@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:17:10 -0700
Brian wrote: Correct heater valve knob, correct color.

The parts manual (AKD1575) shows a very different water control tap
(ACA5455), which is as it was on my original Sprite (#26892). The parts book
makes no mention of changes. Additionally, I still have the tap from my 1958
Sprite (#762), and it is also the same as #26892. Brian may have been misled by
the red-painted tap show in Horler (p. 59), but that is in a HAN6.

Gas cap was painted body color, as it should be.

This has often been the subject of discussion, but there is simply no
contemporary evidence that ANY Sprite came with a painted gas cap, Horlers
assertion (p. 16) to the contrary. Yes, I remember that some people painted
them to match the car, just as a girlfriend painted my hubcaps' AH with her red
fingernail polish. Certainly, my #26892 came with a chrome gas cap. And when
Frank and I visited the BMIHT headquarters in May, the chaps there told us they
came with a chrome gas cap. Finally, all of the gas caps shown in Clausanger
are chrome.

"Sliding pane side curtains introduced #8283 (Dec. 58)"

But the sliding side curtains were an option that was available ONLY with the
hardtop which was made available after the Team Sprite car was built.  Indeed,
the hardtop sliding side curtains did not work well with a soft top, and
continually allowed water in. The side curtain on the Team Sprite car was a
later after-market version developed by the company, and can be identified by
the rubber seal that extended over the door.

Hopefully, Jay can add more regarding the originality issues.

Buster Evans