Re: [Spridgets] Starter -- part 2

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Starter -- part 2
From: Andy Webster <a_d_webster@yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:06:58 +1100 (EST)
G'day Chuck,

  On my 1098 in a mk2 sprite, I fitted a $25 starter from one of these cars:

  http://www.dragtimes.com/images/10160-1982-Holden-Gemini.jpg

  I can't remember the Chev name for this car, but it is an isuzu and has a
hitachi starter that bolted right in to the sprite motor and worked great.
  There is bugger-all clearance between the solenoid and th body of the car
(near the passenger footwell (driver's footwell for me here in australia) but
that never  was an issue for me until i fitted the 1275 and rivergate kit.
  the rivergate backing plate has the sarter mounted so the solenoid just wont
clear the body of the car. Back to the junkyard someday to search for another,
but for now I have a rebuilt lucas unit....which will do ...for now.

  the ring gears always wear in 2 places, 180 degrees apart because the engine
nearly always comes to rest in the same spots.

  The gemini satrter engages the ring gear from the opposite side, and has
tapered teeth on its cog. so a worn ring gear need not necessarily be replaced.

  I have heard that others were not successful in getting this starter to fit
in their cars, but for 25 or 30 bucks...i think it's worth a shot.

  Andy

chuck <cciaffone@verizon.net> wrote:
  Eureka! It starts!

Here's what I did: removed the starter, played
with the starter and the jumper cables, sprayed
WD-40 on the starter shaft and slid the bendix
back and forth while turning the starter shaft.
Replaced the starter and really cranked down on the
nut holding the cable.

I disabled the dizzy and hit the key and ran the
starter around and around and it does NOT kick out
ever. Many revs of the ring gear and no probs.

I enabled the dizzy and hit the key again and again
and again and it engages and starts every damned time.
No spinning, no grinding, allways engaging.

So ... what did I do?

The bendix assembly was NOT all crudded up. In fact
it looked clean to me.

I'm guessing that when the WD-40 evaporates I'll be
back where I was.

Then what???

Sick of deleting your inbox? Yahoo!7 Mail has free unlimited storage. Get it
now.