Re: [Spridgets] Practical Classics / Buster Cluster

To: Paul Asgeirsson <PAsgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>, Robert Duquette
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Practical Classics / Buster Cluster
From: <uniquelittlecars@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:58:10 -0700 (PDT)
 History  Hell was founded by Charles Carr in 1954. Carr, with his wife and
their ten-year-old son Terry were the only inhabitants as of 1958. He also
served as the lone member of Hell's Chamber of Commerce.
  On several occasions, Hell has been referenced when it is especially hot out.
Columnist Art Ryon mentioned in his September 7, 1955 column in the Los Angeles
Times that on September 1, it was 110 degrees in Los Angeles, yet was only 105
degrees in Hell. On October 17, 1958, The Los Angeles Times published an
article "LA's Hotter Than Hell--Only 97 There" when it reached 104 degrees the
same day. According to a UPI news report, it also snowed in Hell at least once,
causing many to remark that "it was a cold day in Hell".
  There were once several roadside signs referencing Hell, including one near
Indio, California which read "100 miles of desert ahead - right through Hell."
  Hell was abandoned in the late 1950's or early 1960's when it was isolated by
the construction of US Highway 60 and 70. Its remains were demolished and
burned by the California State Division of Highways in late 1964 to make way
for what would eventually become Interstate 10.

  uniquelittlecars@yahoo.com wrote:  According to the United States Geological
Survey, Hell is a locale located in Riverside County, California, USA, at 33
41 27
N, 115 16 22
W.

Vigil