Re: [Spridgets] Starter AND Heater

To: cciaffone@verizon.net, spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Starter AND Heater
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 14:52:37 GMT
Chuck..

as long as block water circulation from the rear back to front is maintained at
all times to prevent "stagnation" of water at the rear of the block for best
cooling (block's heater valve open) nothing wrong with taking the heater out of
the circuit for summer by hose re-routing.

I personally appreciate any added fluid to the already minimal cooling system
so run with the heater included at all times (cockpit flaps closed of course)
with the added consideration the heater core itself is a heat exchanger.

I do however route the return flow from the heater back to the thermostat
housing
(direct to rad) rather stock routing, I use a cut and modified normal lower
heater hose to do the job. Saw this arrangement in a picture of a racing
Spridget's engine compartment in Daniel Stapleton's book;
made good sense to me so I adopted it.

Also I run without the "bypass" from head
to pump, with two 1/4" holes drilled in the
thermostat housing to provide for some flow during warmup and in the event the
stat malfunctions in the closed position.

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)