Re: [Spridgets] Anger as fines from speed cameras soar

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Anger as fines from speed cameras soar
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 08:19:07 -0600
> . . . We do have
> red light cameras at high accident intersections though.  And, they put up
> signs warning that there is a camera at the intersection so their motive
> doesn't appear to be a money grab.

We have a number of those here in Chicago. Apparently (I wouldn't know),
they mail you a picture of your car going through the red light and ask for
your donation. A friend of mine, who happens to work for the police
department, received one of these. He was about to send the money in when he
realized that the picture actually showed his car going through a GREEN
light; no violation in sight. You can't imagine what a difficult time he had
trying to convince the authorities that their cameras were out of sync.
Would probably have been cheaper and certainly easier to pay the fine, but a
person has to have some principles...
David Lieb