Re: [Spridgets] Dumb Question

To: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>, "Norm" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Dumb Question
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <PAsgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:12:16 -0800
Hi Norm,

When mounted in the original single chain timing gear, it was supposed to
put tension on the chain to make it run tighter.  It did that likely for 2
months and then that rubber turned into anthracite!  Then the timing chain
developed the death rattle for the rest of it's life.  Sounds a lot like
early Willys powered Jeep engines!!  On some of the side mount "A": series
engine, they did the spring loaded tensioner that ran against the back side
of the chain.

Many folks have no idea where on the chain pulley to mount these rubbers.
The old ones are so brittle they're a look alike to the steel!  Jam a small
bladed screwdriver into it and it splits and you just pull it out!!

Pa