Re: [Spridgets] d shaft universal

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] d shaft universal
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:41:33 -0600
Phil,

To the best of my knowledge once the shaft is removed the U-joints and yokes
can be played with.. making them move through their whole range of motion
will quickly determine which is bad. I put the drive shaft in a vice and
then run the U-joint through a range of motion check by hand. You can feel
it if the U-joint is the slightest bit sloppy and any direction. In your
case, I'd advise just replace the U-joints while you have everything out.
They are cheap and the piece of mind is well worth it. You may have to take
it to a machine shop to get the old ones out and press in the new ones.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Dec 11, 2007 2:34 PM, Phil Nase <nases@verizon.net> wrote:

> Is there any way to tell if the universal for a Mk I needs replacing.  The
> drive shaft is out of the car and I haven't driven the car yet so.....
>

> Phil Nase
> Quakertown, PA
> http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa<http://home.comcast.net/%7Ephilnasecpa>

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 "Spridget" in Dodge City
Don't miss "50 Years of Spridgets" at Lake of the Ozarks, June 26-29, 2008!!

For info and registration... <http://www.Sprite-MidgetClub.org>