[Spridgets] New engine runs

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] New engine runs
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:52:50 EST
Hi List,

I've made it back to the list before Christmas and hope to hang on until  the
first week of the new year.

Much been happening on the list since the summer?

I've finally finished the install on the new engine for my Sprite which  also
has an aluminium alloy cast Weslake rocker cover.  I had a whole  series of
hold-ups which involved waiting for parts time after time.

Final bits arrived on Tuesday and I've spent every evening since in the
garage.  Did I mention I have an aluminium alloy cast Weslake rocker  cover.
Ok,
it's not as cold over here as it where most of you are but  nonetheless
working in an unheated garage at about freezing or just below is no  fun.  The
first
time I picked up anything metal my hand's practically  froze.

With nearly new everything including a new Controlled Vortex exhaust
manifold and system pipe it was typical that nothing simply bolted together but
 had
to have a couple of test fits and adjustments first.

Tonight I did the ignition timing - without a timing light as I'd spend the
timing light money on new roller rockers and the engine fired up practically
straight away.  Yeah, I did crank the engine for oil pressure and saw some
before attempting to start it.  Bear in mind that starting an engine  on a
45DCOE that has a fairly radical cam in near freezing conditions with
approximate
engine timing is less than ideal.  So, I was really pleased it  started
without too much fuss.

The cam is is new so that had to be bedded in for 20 mins at 2250-2500  rpm.
The new engine won't make much more power though is lighter and with  a
lighter flywheel and clutch.  At one point I didn't so much as  accidentally
blip
the throttle to 4250 as over caress the pedal.

I still have to get the bonnet on and do a lot of unrelated (to the engine
change) wiring and other tidying up jobs so may not get to drive it until
Sunday  afternoon or maybe the following Saturday.  I also have some other
stuff to
 fit in between now and then.

Did I forget to mention the Weslake rocker cover:  _www.weslake.co.uk_
(http://www.weslake.co.uk)