Re: [Spridgets] Was (no subject), now reproductions

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Was (no subject), now reproductions
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:03:33 -0600
> There have been several, I believe there was one made on the Isle of Skye,
> and one other, but the name escapes me.
Those in the UK can be more helpful

Thinking of the Isle of Wight Frogeye, perhaps?
I think Jay hit the nail on the head quite eloquently. The demand and the
price have not yet outstripped the supply. Ten years from now there might
well be a market willing to pay $30,000 for a reproduction of the Bugeye,
but while you can still get a very good original for under $10,000, there is
no way to make a living at it. A new RWA bodyshell would cost me more than a
complete nearly concours example would and that is without the cost of a
donor car and the parts that would need renewed.

On the other side of the coin, we have now seen decent Bugeyes auction for
over $20,000. The price of a running restorable RWA has gone up from $1500
to $3000 over the last ten years or so and it will keep going up as supply
drops. We have grown accustomed to always being able to find another good
Spridget at a ridiculously low price, but those days are coming to an end.
Get them now while you still can...

By a remarkable coincidence, my acquisition of Crash's Bugeye leaves me in
the position of having nowhere to keep a lovely bronze yellow RWA Midget
made a month before the Sabrinas started. VERY solid floors, but needs new
lower A-pillars and outer sills as well as the usual crop of dings. Engine
original to the point of still having a functional air pump. Disk wheels.
Spent the last 19 years sitting up on blocks in a Chicago garage. I was
planning to make it a very nice original RWA, but, as indicated above, it is
actually cheaper for me to buy Crash's yellow Bugeye than to complete the
project, especially since I do not weld. I really do not want to sell it,
but I have nowhere to put it and it deserves a good home.
David Lieb