Re: [Spridgets] (no subject)

To: Michael Conn <mconn19221@roadrunner.com>, spridgets
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] (no subject)
From: Mike/Donna Carpenter <mail4carpenters@peoplepc.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:11:43 -0500 (EST)
Hi Michael,

I can answer this one from experience.  Actually it is not Caterham 7
lookalikes, it is Lotus Seven lookalikes as Caterham is a continuation of the
original Lotus seven series three.

The answer to why there is not really any Bugeye lookalikes is that their were
so many made and they are still relatively cheap to purchase in any condition
even mint originals don't seem to go past $15K.  I know that someone will throw
in a BJ auction result here.  Those are outlyers in the scheme of things.
Bugeyes are finally beginning to climb now but so is inflation so I don't know.

There were roughly 240 series one Lotus Sevens made - worth when you can locate
a "real" one $40K.  Series two Lotus Sevens about 1200 were produced.  Worth of
series two and three Sevens around $25K again if you locate a "real" one.

It is a matter of numbers produced and most Lotus Sevens were raced from new
and that eliminates a great number of them to attrition.

They made a fibreglas Bugeye in the '80s.  I don't know what ever became of
that.  It looked to be pretty decent.

Hope this helps.

Mike C