Re: [Spridgets] what's the story on Moss' "repro Mini-Lite

To: <uniquelittlecars@yahoo.com>, "'Ron Soave'" <soavero@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] what's the story on Moss' "repro Mini-Lite
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:31:19 -0500
Finally getting a few minutes to sit in front of the computer, and I
wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question.  I've received a
lot of good information!
I've got several months in which to make my decision, and, what with all
of the other project "mouths to feed", I'll probably just refurbish the
OE wheels that came on the car (it was a totally complete, original car
when I got it 27 years ago).
It sounds like, should I elect to go with the Minilite repros, or
something similar, rubbing won't be a problem with the 155s I will be
running.  As a former SCCA racer (E production MGB), I'm very familiar
with wide tires and their performance characteristics.  So, I'm quite
comfortable with 155s on a 5" wheel width....absolutely no problems at
all with that combination.  Since I actually LIKE driving my Spridgets
it the rain, on occasion (I live in "Pennsylrainia", after all, right
Frank?), I prefer to stay with the skinnier tires for the street.  More
than just about anything, I hate hydro-planning on fat tires, on light
cars......and I've had more experience with just that than I care to
think about.
Of course, they DO look nice on a Spridget (the wide tires), I must
admit ;)
Thanks again, guys.
Bud Osbourne