Re: [Spridgets] Suburu question now VW

To: "'Mark'" <mark@nashvilletn.org>, "'Peter C'" <peter@nosimport.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Suburu question now VW
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 00:25:45 -0500
Mark,
That Jetta should be a pretty good car.  The 2.0 Turbo is a damn good
engine.  Your warranty should take care of most of the stuff that might
give you trouble.  The "check engine light" has been on in my Golf, most
of the time, for the last 6 or 7 years.  But, at almost 242K, the engine
doesn't burn a drop of oil between oil changes; the engine runs smooth
and strong & gets good gas mileage.  The body is still rust-free, the
paint is still good, and the interior is holding up incredibly well.
Since the Jetta is, in reality, a Golf (or Rabbit) with a trunk, you can
see what is possible.  Just follow the factory service recommendations,
insist that the same mechanic work on it every time it's in for service
or repairs, and you should do pretty well with it.
A long-term ownership of a good car is like being married to a good
woman: not everything is perfect, and you can expect some problems, and,
like even the best wife, they can be expensive to maintain.  But,
overall, it is a very good & happy experience.
Bud Osbourne