[Spridgets] E-bay Scam

To: Spridgets net <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] E-bay Scam
From: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:36:07 -0600
I nearly got scammed out of $2000 this week in a e-bay transaction that I
didn't figure out until the scammer asked for a MoneyGram.  E-bay reported this
morning that the scam came from an "unauthorized account take-over" = hack.
This is doubly dangerous, as the initial correspondence was "official",
including my e-bay ID and all graphics and formatting (with instructions not to
send a MoneyGram).

The auction closed without meeting the seller's reserve.  I then got a Second
Chance notice saying the seller had reduced his Buy-it-now price to $2000 - a
bargain "too good to be true".  This notice included my e-bay ID and in all
respects looked official - same pictures, same text, logo, everything.
Somewhere around then I also got another copy in which my e-bay ID was replaced
with "buyer".  I might have noticed the logo at that time, as Vista usually
blocks them.  But I did not, so I accepted.  Then I got a direct message from
the scammer, bypassing e-bay.  We had several back and forths, before he asked
for a MoneyGram.

I had one real response from the seller that included his name.  So I found him
on WhitePages.com and called.  He had been getting all manner of messages about
cars that were not his, and two hours before had contacted e-bay, erased his
account, and established a new ID.

So, the lesson is that you may not be able to recognize a scam until they ask
for a direct payment of some kind outside of e-bay and PayPal.

Michael Rowe
Still searching for a car
Long Island,  NY