Re: [Spridgets] transportation companies

To: Ed Townley <healeymonster@fastwave.biz>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] transportation companies
From: David Booker <tncarnut1@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:04:17 -0800 (PST)
"Any recommendations of companies? And maybe more importantly, any companies
to avoid like the plague?"

  I have a mover to Avoid... Allied (the big orange-trucked moving company).
They probably wouldn't be on your short list anyway, but I like to take every
opportunity to bad-mouth this company.

  Back in '94 I was moving from Tennessee to Virginia for a new job.  Allied
was the mover my company wanted me to use.  They really seemed to know what
they were talking about when they came to bid the job.  I believe the quote
went something like "Mr. Booker, believe me when I say we know how to treat
vintage cars like yours".  They so badly underestimated the cubic feet
necessary for the move that the one thing I really cared about ended up on a
separate truck (my almost perfect, newly restored and painted Triumph that only
lacked the finishing touches on the interior).  I was very concerned, but they
promised it would get a ride in an enclosed trailer and show up with the
furniture on the agreed day the following week.

  I won't bore the list with all the details, but the car finally showed up
over a month after the furniture did.  Every single body panel was either bent
or scratched or both.  It looked like the jerks had loaded it with a towmotor.
On top of it all, they said the car was only worth a few hundred dollars since
it was so old.  I had to fight every step of the way to get any money at all
out of them.  I ended up after threat of lawsuit with barely enough to pay for
the body work repairs - it was never right after that.

  There, I feel better.  Haven't had the opportunity to run business away from
the jerks in a couple years now.  Beware the big orange trucks...as the old
Monty Python / Holy Grail quote goes: Run away, Run away!!!

   - David