Re: [Spridgets] Removing Aluminum Channel from Top of '68+ Spridget

To: James Gruber <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Removing Aluminum Channel from Top of '68+ Spridget
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:18:54 -0400
James Gruber wrote:
> I'm trying to replace the vinyl on top of the DS door on Bugsy my '68 Sprite.
>Found the 2 5/16" nuts that loosen the channel but am hesitant to remove them
>all the way as children's hands or Mowogs are likely needed to get back in
>there. Channel is loose and can slide back and forth. IS it easier simply to
>slide vinyl under the edge and then retighten or does that piece easily come
>off and go back on?

Jim
This is a tough call. There should be 5 nuts behind the door cap.
All 5/16" wrench on "T" nuts that do slide inside the channel.
I removed the whole thing from the door, recovered it, and spent a night
getting the nuts back on, 1 is impossible, the others are not too bad
thru the cutouts in the door.
Get yourself one of those ratcheting box wrenches, they work great on
the nuts.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ