Re: [Spridgets] Carburetor Gasketing

To: Bill L <pythias@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Carburetor Gasketing
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:52:19 GMT
LOL....

I saw all the responsi you got and decided you needed an answer to your
original question, supplemented by a "sideways"
answer as well, considering mixture is normally set as part of carb tuning
process which is normally carried out without the air cleaners installed, thus
allowing more easy access to the mixture nuts from the side.

For mixture strength check you are looking for a VERY momentary rpm gain before
it drops off to same or slightly below set idle.
as the air valve is lifted no more than 1/8".

A hand-held analog read-out tach set to the 1,000 rpm scale comes in very handy
for this check as you can "see" this momentary rise which you might have a
tendency to miss from an otherwise noisey engine.

You might also review Tom Swift's  SU
Carb basics on YouTube, placing "University
Motors" in the searchbox. Very educational
and enlightening.

Regards! :)

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)