Re: [Spridgets] New Person on the block

To: "James Coppage" <apexshot@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] New Person on the block
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 08:48:43 -0500
James,

If you are only interested in an auto-x car, you may want to rethink the
Sprite idea.  First of all you can put whatever motor you want in there for
the go-fast part, but you still need to stop fast and corner fast.  Putting
a new motor in there will put you into a modified class against outright
racecars.  That will take some serious bucks in your Sprite to come close to
competing with.  Unless your local competition is really weak, you won't be
taking home the trophies.

For a lot less money and a seriously fast auto-x car, think about buying a
used Formula 500 SCCA race car. You can pick up an older one for a few
thousand dollars which is peanuts compared to what you will put in that
Sprite and you will be much, much faster.  The F500 is one of the cheapest
and fastest ways to compete in auto-x.  If you can drive well, you will
rarely, if ever, get beat by anything.

Larry Daniels
ex- F500 road racer and auto-x