[Spridgets] Spring Hanger

To: Spridget Chat Group <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Spring Hanger
From: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 20:00:37 -0500
I have finally bowed to the inevitable and must deal with a spring hanger.  The
guy who came to look at the repair wanted to replace the entire rear bulkhead
assembly for $$$.  Pictures at

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/mdrowe_photo/Spring%20Hanger/

show what is left of the oval access hole and the two torn-out captive nuts.
The rusted out floor panel shown in the second picture has been patched from
the inside, so only needs cleaning and rewelding.  I really need advice on this
repair.  Do I just cut out a big chunk to match the spring hanger box and weld
it in?  Should I also get a spring hanger patch and floor patch to go with the
hanger box.  All I really need for this area is enough strength to support the
spring, which could be achieved with a big flat bar cut to shape and maybe some
reinforcing bar on the floor and bulkhead inside.  Not authentic, I agree, but
to my inexperience appears much easier than cutting big holes.  Any advice?
Can any of the good dealers on this list provide advice with the patches?

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget
Long Island, NY