Re: [Spridgets] Two perfect cylinders?

To: "Michael Rowe" <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Two perfect cylinders?
From: "Brad Fornal" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 09:31:18 -0500
If you are not getting any airflow into the front carb, reset your valves.
They MUST be set correctly, for proper airflow.
Also, another issue I had in the past, when I did my first attempt at
rebuilding an SU. I had the fixed needle carbs, not the swing spring loaded
kind. The plugs kept fouling, and it took me two weeks to realize that I had
the needle set to far up into the piston. IIRC, you have a early 70's car,
but I am not sure if you have the correct SU's or not. If you have the fixed
needles, let me know, and I will offer up my amateur fix. Pro or not, it
worked a treat.

Brad

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net> wrote:

> All right all you mystery lovers.  My "new" engine starts perfectly and
> runs easily - on two cylinders, 3 and 4.  Cylinders 1 and 2 are flooded out
> and will not fire.  At one point, cylinder 2 was firing enough to make the
> plug sooty.  Cylinder 1 was always wet with gas.  Pretty much everything is
> either new or cleaned and checked.  Electronic ignition, new wires, rotor,
> cap, coil plugs.  Spark to all cylinders confirmed by inline checker.
>  Compression mid 170's on 1, 2, and 4, mid 160's on 3 (which is firing).
>  The same problem occurred with two different sets of carbs.
>
> Here's the fun part.  When the carbs were set at 12 flats down, plugging
> the front carb caused a large increase in speed.  Plugging the back carb
> caused instant death.  I leaned the front carb pretty much all the way to
> the top because cylinders 1 and 2 were flooding.  In that condition, I
> covered the intake with my hand and absolutely nothing happened, as though
> there were no airflow through the front carb at all.  The vacuum felt very
> weak compared to the rear carb.  There does not appear to be anything wrong
> with the butterfly.  No evidence of leaking by an ether test at the gaskets,
> etc.  Later, I even stuck my finger in the manifold to see if there were a
> mouse nest or something.
>
> I am a complete newbie, but my mechanic/tutor has 30 years experience with
> MGB's.  We are baffled.
>
> Michael Rowe
> '74 Midget
> Long Island, NY