Re: [Spridgets] midget engine removal

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] midget engine removal
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 14:46:42 -0500
> When I use the rocker cover studs I leave the valve cover on. That takes
> care of any side forces you incounter. Make the hole in your lifting plate
> the size of the valve cover nut and just take the big washer off and use
> the
> nut through the plate snugged down.

I kinda doubt that my original pressed-tin valve cover would have any effect
on the side-loading of the studs whatsoever. Personally, I use a nice long
3"-wide nylon strap from a tie-down. The hook goes to the hook of the crane,
the strap then goes around the bellhousing, back through the crane hook,
around the harmonic balancer, then I tie a loop in the end and attach that
to the cran hook, too. Makes a nice big figure-8. Lifts everything nice and
gently. It also allows me to simply tilt the engine and trans package to any
angle I want and it stays at that angle. No turning cranks for ten minutes,
just tip it to the desired angle. I have done my last four or five engine
jobs on Spridgets this way and it works quite well. No, the strap does not
ravel the moment it gets nicked.
David Lieb