Re: [Spridgets] [midgetsprite] The seemingly endless Exxon Valdez

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] [midgetsprite] The seemingly endless Exxon Valdez
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 12:12:13 GMT
("Pictures") Hmmmm....

I think Ed is correct in that that yellow cover hides a vacuum port. I can't
tell whether it's up stream or downstream of the butterfly, though. But I think
it's down-stream.

Thus, it could be a vac. port for an emissions distibutor, the type
which runs with full vacuum advance at idle and actually retards the spark with
reduced intake manifold vacuum.

This type of distributor was used in early
emissions set-ups ('68) when emissions
standards called for checking emissions at
idle rpm's.

Vacuum advance retarded as quickly at
manifold vacuum was lost depending upon how far and fast you put your foot
down, as mechanical advance portion of the dizzy  "advanced" with rpm. These
were the long/slow advance curve types as emmissions were becoming as, if not
more
important than performance.

This dizzy was usually (but not always) matched to carb's having poppet valves
in their for additional leaning on decleration which led to those "popping"
exhausts of cars with the early emissions set-ups.

You seem to have the hose from the flame arrestor on the timing cover going
into a fitting on the Titan waterheated intake manifold. Do I have that right,
Jim?

If so, Is there a PCV valve in that fitting or is it just the hose connected to
the intake
manifold?

CapBob