[Spridgets] u joints

To: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] u joints
From: "Robert Duquette" <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 14:30:36 -0400
Hmmm!

I have been having weird sounds from the drive train for a while.  I assumed
that at least part of the problem was the u-joints, so I went out this
morning to check it out.  Hmmm!  There's an extra car in the driveway parked
in front of the garage door.  Normally, I would have turned the car around (
facing in ).  But, not today apparently.  There was enough room to push it
out into the doorway to give me room to access from behind ( sides are not
an option ).  So, jacked her up, on stands, wiggle the rear u-joint and was
confident about them being at least part of the problem.  Detached the rear
of the drive shaft and noted that there were matching score marks.  Then I
went to pull the drive shaft and at that moment started to wonder if I
should be draining the oil first.  Checked another gearbox and noted the
position of the filler plug and the lower edge of the hole where the drive
shaft fits in.  Should be okay.  Then, I pulled it.  Only one of the
u-joints has a grease fitting.  Both are shot.  So, I grab the drive shaft
from the eternal sprite project.  Both u-joints seem good.  Only one has a
grease fitting.  Figure it's best to grease it first.  Can't find the grease
gun.  I only had limited time to work on the Midget.  So, I figure I'll put
it in and grease it later.  Masking tape to wrap the front yoke ??  Can't
find that either.  Finally . time's up.  Gotta go.  Now I have to lower the
car and push it back into the garage.  I'm not so confident that the oil
won't come out when the car is lowered.  I did buy some masking tape while I
was out.  Any bets on the oil situation?  :-)

Hopefully, I'll get back to it today.