Re: [Spridgets] HELP!!!!!

To: <ryan.kubanoff@comcast.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] HELP!!!!!
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 08:39:18 +0100
 DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluids are compatible with each other and may be
interchanged or mixed with no ill effects except the boiling points are
different.  A mixture which includes DOT 3 must be treated as being wholly
DOT 3.

The table below shows MINIMUM wet and dry boiling points for DOT 2, 3, 4,
and 5 brake fluid in degrees Fahrenheit.

     DOT 2
     DOT 3
     DOT 4
     DOT 5

      Dry Boiling point
     374
     401
     446
     500

      Wet boiling point

     284
     311
     356

The DOT 2 spec is for drum brakes and is obsolete.  If you have any DOT 2 in
your garage, throw it away!

DOT 5 is silicone brake fluid.  Silicone brake fluid (DOT 5) is NOT
compatible with regular brake fluid, it is hard to pour without introducing
bubbles and can result in soft pedal feel.  Moisture still gets into your
system and it will pool in low areas such as callipers.  It may therefor
encourage rapid corrosion rather than be obsorbed in the fluid and it will
destroy seals if they have already used for normal brake fluid.  Fully
cleaned components and new seals will be OK.  Basically, stay clear unless
you have a need for it.

In some Countries there is DOT 5.1 which may get called Super or Supreme DOT
4.  Don't know anything about that other than it has a higher boiling point
than normal DOT 5.  Whether or even if it is missable with another DOT
standard is also unknown.

Guy R Day

PS   Brad, sorry I can't help, but good luck in getting the slave cyl
sorted.