Re: [Spridgets] hydrogen filling station in Los Angeles

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] hydrogen filling station in Los Angeles
From: "B- Evans" <b-evans@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:23:53 -0700
Dave G. wrote:  "When I was quite young, during WW2, gas was severely
rationed and only for those with a war-related need (or buying Gas coupons
on the Black Market !)...I remember cars driving around with inflatable
gas-bags on the roof...But I think they were filled with something like
propane..."

While gasoline rationing was extensive and tight, it did not prevent all
driving except for war-related need, or buying gasoline ration coupons on
the Black Market.   Everyone could buy gasoline, but there were limitations
depending upon need.  At first, we in California did not have rationing at
all, while those on the East Coast did.  When it began, everyone we knew had
a red "A" sticker on the windshield, and Dad could get about three gallons a
week.   When he was transferred by Douglas to Oklahoma City, we drove there
in late 1942.  Because he was a war worker at Douglas, Dad was given a "B"
sticker that entitled him to about 8-10 gallons a week.   People could build
up a reserve of gasoline by car-pooling, or taking the bus, that allowed for
some casual driving such as when we drove to see the results of a deadly
tornado on the other side of town.   Of course there were major exceptions
for truckers, doctors, etc.   My grandfather, a rural route mailman in Iowa,
was allowed enough gasoline to cover his route.  But I remember the really
privileged few (i.e. politicians, movie stars, etc.) got the sacred "X"
coupon, and with it, unlimited gas.   (The biggest limitation on driving was
the rationing on tires.   America's rubber source in the East Indies was cut
off, and synthetic rubber had yet to make any significant contribution.)

As far as the "inflatable gas bags", these were not a feature in America.
They were used sporadically in England and Germany during World
War I.   In England, they were used (appropriately enough) on the "tipper
trucks", or what we would call garbage trucks, with the bags holding methane
gas.  Inflatable gas bags were again seen in Germany towards the end of
World War II when their Rumanian gas supplies had been cut off.

Buster