Re: [Spridgets] Glass replacement in '58 Sprite

To: Trevor Jessie <trevor.jessie@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Glass replacement in '58 Sprite
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:15:37 -0400
Trevor Jessie wrote:
> OK, so on the way to LotO a rock hit my windscreen and cracked it.  I
> have a replacement windscreen and I think I'm up to the challenge of
> replacing it.  However, if anyone has done a 9-stud windscreen and can
> give me a step by step (or even just a few pointers) I would certainly
> appreciate it.

I had to install the glass in my 58.
The gasket from glass to frame was shot and unavailable so I just used
some thin rubber sheet cut into I think 4 strips, 2 sides, top and
bottom without too much concern around the corners because we all know a
9 stud leaks anyway.
There are 2 bent metal tabs or more like threaded metal plates that hold
the screws, mine were rusted beyond use. I just made new ones out of
some 1/8 thick steel, getting the holes in the right spot took a few
tries. Drill and tap 10/32 for the screws from the frame.
Once the frame is apart, it's pretty cut and dry. But those corner metal
things that hold the screws are not bent 90*.
That was my toughest part, not so much making them, but getting the bend
correct and the holes in the right spot.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ