Re: [Spridgets] Metal repair

To: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Metal repair
From: John Caffrey <jdc6@Lehigh.EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:53:39 -0400
Adrian Jones wrote:
> OK, some bonehead questions:
> Frank Clarici wrote:
> bCut the rust out completely, try to make a nice square hole, cut a piece
> of sheetmetal about 1 inch largerb
> Where would you go for this sheetmetal and what do you ask for (type of metal
> and thickness)?
> What kind of a joint would you make between new and old?
Ask for 20 gauge cold rolled steel (.036" thick). You don't want hot
rolled or galvanized. Look for a roofing supply co. and they will have
the square shears to cut a piece, or an auto body supply company who
will probably sell it in 2'x4' pieces. Frank described the quickest and
easiest method to patch a panel, i.e. a lap joint, and you won't have as
much distortion or require much plastic filler either. On my projects I
typically do butt welds, but need to spend lots of time on fitup and
welding. Cutting pieces from 20 Ga. with aviation snips requires a
strong grip and forearms, so prepare accordingly.
Fogelsville, PA