[Spridgets] Convertible Top Install

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Convertible Top Install
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:10:03 -0400
I am working on installing a convertible top on my '66 Sprite MKIII
and have some questions.

1) Snaps. There is a male snap on the windshield frame (at the top L
& R corners) that look like they receive female snaps that should be
mounted on the vinyl top in the material that forms the window
surround toward the front of the car. Nearby on the top frame rail is
a hole that I believe once had a snap located there too - both sides.
OR are the holes in the top frame rail for something else?

2) This top has a little square of material in the area of the top of
the windshield - about 4 inches square - each side. Does that
material just get glued to the top frame rail to help close the top corners?

My explanation is as clear as mud. I'm guessing responses will be
just as difficult to describe. So, if you have some pics of that
particular area, I'd appreciate receiving the pics and info. The
weather is nice and warm so it is good for installing tops.

3) What's a good way to secure the two part snap if you don't have
the special tool to crimp the rivet? Or, is it best to farm out the
snap installs?

Thanks

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/