Re: [Spridgets] My bug eye problems

To: Matt Hagopian <mhagopian@hoppetool.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] My bug eye problems
From: "John D. Caffrey" <jdc6@Lehigh.EDU>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 07:41:31 -0400 (EDT)
 Matt Hagopian wrote:Guys, we pulled the head off before pulling the motor
out... Look at what we
> found! My grandfather was right! Sent the head out to the local guy to do
> some work on it. Pulling that piston out because one of those pieces is
> actually stuck into it, machining it off/out and putting a weld to cover it
> up. Grinding all of the valve heads down because as you can see the valve
> heads are hitting.

> Comments? Concerns?

Matt,
You're kidding, right?  You cannot possibly grind a valve head down enough to
make the clearance you need!!!  Clearance should be .060", and removing that
from a valve would severely weaken it, the margin on the valve is usually only
.030".  The proper fix is to machine valve reliefs in the pistons. Was the cam
timing checked during the disassembly? Chains don't last very long at race rpm,
especially single row chains.
Welding on the pistons of a race engine is another unusual idea that may
distort the ring lands, and give future ring sealing or sticking problems. If
you want this engine to last you need to find someone experienced with RACE
engines.
John
Fogelsville, PA