Re: [Spridgets] [SPAM][midgetsprite] Gustav

To: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>, <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] [SPAM][midgetsprite] Gustav
From: Bill Masquelier <billmasq@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 16:49:34 -0700
Jim
As for "west of the San Andreas" remember that when the big one comes that we
in SoCal will be sitting pretty while everything east of the San Andreas will
sink into the Atlantic!!! :)

Billm

> Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:34:32 -0500
> From: bmwwxman@gmail.com
> To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
> CC: spridgets@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Spridgets] [SPAM][midgetsprite] Gustav
>
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Robert D. Gardner <rdgard@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >   Jim,
> >
> > What are the chances that New Orleans will have floods again like last
> > time?
> >

> Bob,
>
> Forecasting the storm track based on large scale atmospheric conditions is
> difficult. Trying to figure out if, when, where, and how all the levees
will
> react to the storm surge and rain is neigh on to impossible. I wouldn't
even
> attempt it. Best to get the hell outta areas that are below sea level. If
it
> doesn't flood, nothing much is lost when you return. If it does, then at
> least you are safe.
>
> The stories going around after Katrina were that the flooding which
occurred
> was predicted some years ago but that prediction was ignored. That is true
> to a point. About 10 different hydrological models are run annually on the
> New Orleans area. A few years ago, one of them did in fact predict a
> scenario like what happened. But none of the others did.  Which would you
> believe?  The one, or the nine?   ;-)
>
> If you live below sea level, next to a sea, and are in the path of a
> hurricane, that is reason enough to flee. You can't micromanage mother
> nature (this part of town will flood - that part won't).
>
> FWIW, I wouldn't live in New Orleans for all the tea in China.  Of course,
> wouldn't live a;ong the gulf coast, along the Mississippi or west of the
San
> Andreas fault either.....    ;-)
>
> Cheers!!
> Jim

Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger.  Find out how.
http://www.windowslive.com/explore/messenger?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_messenger_yaho
o_082008